May 26, 2010, 04:47:22 AM
News: Check out the tees, hoodies, and totes available at Ironandwine.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: Football Thread  (Read 10031 times)
Brett
I Am Not The Moon
Administrator

bpjeep24
WWW Email
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:08:43 PM »

ok ok, since so many people seem to hate the football discussions in the random thread, well have a separate thread so you guys and girls stop whining.

"No more robots, no more talking with computers.  This song was recorded on a computer... There's so much wrong with that.
Brett
I Am Not The Moon
Administrator

bpjeep24
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 09:11:01 PM »

this is the continuation of discussion from the random thread.

Quote from: ddn12
Last years playoff seeds

Eagles - #3 in NFC
Giants - #6 in NFC
San Diego - #1 in AFC
Bears - #1 in NFC
Chiefs - #6 in AFC
Cowboys - #5 in NFC

That's 4 out of the 6 NFC playoff teams and both #1's. If these teams aren't any good, who are the good teams?

thats last year.  last year doesnt mean anything for this season.  the past doesnt make a good team.  just because elway was amazing on the broncos years ago, it doesnt mean the broncos are good now.  if you wanna go ahead and say the chiefs and giants are good this year, well, fine.  but i think they are gonna struggle to just hit average.

who are the good teams?

pats
colts
steelers
cowboys
bucs

those are the top teams in the nfl right now and will be in weeks to come.  some other teams are on the cusp, but too early to tell.  like i said, the packers will be a decent team this year and will make the playoffs.  but i doubt they make it past the first round.  but dont make the mistake of thinking past years records will effect this years.  thats just not how it works.

"No more robots, no more talking with computers.  This song was recorded on a computer... There's so much wrong with that.
ddn12
Emilio Estevez Enthusiast

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 09:48:49 PM »

Well I certainly wouldn't say that Elway has any affect on the Broncos now. But looking at last years records is generally a good way of judging this years teams. Sure, they aren't going to be absolutely accurate, but its about the only concrete benchmark we have this early in the season to judge teams on.

And I don't know about the Bucs as an elite team, 4-12 last year and they haven't beaten anyone of consequence this year yet. I think the Panthers are the best team in that division.

Pats and Colts of course, Steelers look good and the Cowboys have looked surprisingly good. They did fall apart at the end of last year though, we'll see if they can hold out this year. If they keep playing like they are, they will be just fine.
Christian
Those Poor Emo's

hates you

ah+poor+bird
Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:53:35 PM »

So I am seeing Okkervil River this wednesday!!!!!!
ddn12

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 09:58:22 PM »

Are they an expansion team?
Brett
I Am Not The Moon
Administrator

bpjeep24
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:06:09 PM »

i think offseason moves are a much better way of seeing how the team is going to play, and in half the teams we are talking about, thats a huge factor.

just look at the chargers.  terrible offseason decisions and look how much its affecting them.  if someone were going by last season for these first 3 weeks to bet, theyd be out a lot of money.

and the bucs have beaten seatle and new orleans.  if we are going by your last years record system, they both won their division.  so im really confused.

as far as the panthers, they are one of the teams i think are on the cusp.  they havent played much in the way of great talent yet, and lost to the texans.  so i havent made a decision on them yet.  i think they can go either way this year.

ddn12

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:11:22 PM »

Tampa Bay didn't beat Seattle.

W1: Sun 9/9 @Seattle                   L 20-6
W2: Sun 9/16 New Orleans         W 31-14
W3: Sun 9/23 St. Louis                 W 24-3

And I do think both Seattle and New Orleans are and will be good teams this year. I'm not saying that everyone will have the same exact record as they did last year.
Brett
I Am Not The Moon
Administrator

bpjeep24
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:27:23 PM »

yea...total brainfart.  dunno why i thought the bucs beat seatle there.

as for as the saints, id love to see them be a top tier team, but they are really struggling.  they dont have the easiest of schedules and they arent lookin so hot tonight.  i have some money on the titans for tonight, so as much as i dont want them to win, i think they will.  a +5 spread on the titans is just too good to pass up.  its easy money.

hannah
Anyone up for tetherball?

rawkstarr101
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 10:52:32 PM »

thanks Brett! You're the bestest admin ever! wait... I mean...

I LOVE FOOTBALL! WOOO!

She knew she was able to fly, because when she came down she had dust on her hands from the sky.
billy
ladykiller

billyc0417
Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 11:26:21 PM »

i like soccer/football.. can i hang with you fellows?

She was a washcloth wet with love
I was not, she was mine
Iím in the olive tree next door
riverís up to my eyes
hannah
Anyone up for tetherball?

rawkstarr101
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 11:37:08 PM »

I'd much prefer soccer.
Let's talk about that.

She knew she was able to fly, because when she came down she had dust on her hands from the sky.
anangryblade
Naked As We Came

I do not sleep

coltranesdream
Email
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 02:34:56 AM »

Okay, so I'm biased, but...  Dallas will falter down the stretch, believe me.  As with last year, they are a momentum team; as soon as Romo throws a bad INT or two in the first quarter of a game, they will start to slowly slide downhill.  Although, I will definitely say that Wade Phillips has made their defense far more respectable.  They will probably go to the playoffs, but remember they still have to face the Pats, Eagles (x2), and the Packers, all teams with far better defenses and powerful offenses.

No one's mentioned them, but Jacksonville and the Redskins are also teams that look pretty solid.  They both have powerful running games and smart quarterbacks, who might not win the game for their team, but definitely won't lose it. 

The Bucs are more impressive than they look, IMHO.  Holding the Rams offense to 3 points is impressive.  And Garcia will keep them in most games and win alot of them.  Plus they get to play the Saints, Panthers, and Falcons twice each.

E!  A!  G!  L!  E!  S!  EAGLES!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 02:38:45 AM by anangryblade » Logged

They got you thinking that what you need is what they're selling, make you think that buying is rebelling.  -Zach de la Rocha
Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 12:36:30 PM »

I am so fucking angry about the saints right now. There is absolutely no excuse for us to be 0-3. We have the most explosive offense in the nfc and we're playing like the worst. I don't know why sean peyton is doing this to me.

"Dress Sexy At My Funeral, My Good Wife" Bill Callahan
kozamel
Naked As We Came

Email
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 02:38:33 PM »

GO PANTHERS!

anangryblade
Naked As We Came

I do not sleep

coltranesdream
Email
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 02:42:31 PM »

EchosMyron,

Totally agree.  I was looking for big things from the Saints this year.  Instead, it looks like Sean Payton is trying to play Madden '08 against real football teams, running exclusively misdirection and trick plays/formations.  It's too bad, your team has an absurd amount of talent on the offensive side.  I think it's definitely a coaching issue more than anything else.

And they just announced that Deuce is out for the season.  Ouch.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 04:01:39 PM by anangryblade » Logged

They got you thinking that what you need is what they're selling, make you think that buying is rebelling.  -Zach de la Rocha
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23
Print
Jump to: