May 26, 2010, 04:31:50 AM
News: Check out the tees, hoodies, and totes available at Ironandwine.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Books Thread  (Read 6000 times)
acniner
Sunset Soon Forgotten

People that littered bothered him.

Email
« on: October 23, 2007, 04:41:54 PM »

Feeling kinda bookish?  What are you reading?  Audio books count too.

I'm about half way through A Confederacy of Dunces and it is pretty much a riot.  I had heard from so many people that the book was hysterically funny and was a little concerned since I hadn't laughed after reading the first hundred pages.  After that hundred mark it got pretty damn funny.  I guess it's just one of those books that takes a little time to warm up the engine.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 04:46:06 PM by acniner » Logged
ddn12
Emilio Estevez Enthusiast

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 05:17:45 PM »

I don't read anything but law textbooks anymore. How about in addition to current reads, let's hear some favorites. I'll throw out two of my favorites, Lost Horizon by James Hilton and Once a Runner by John L. Parker, Jr. Hilton is a great writer, also known for Goodbye, Mr. Chips. The Parker book is more of a cult-type runner thing.
acniner
Sunset Soon Forgotten

People that littered bothered him.

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 05:40:42 PM »

I don't read anything but law textbooks anymore.

I'm sorry.
Christian
Those Poor Emo's

hates you

ah+poor+bird
Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 06:59:22 PM »

Conferacy of Dunces is one of my favorites.

I'm reading Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins.  If you like Vonnegut you'd love Robbins I think.  It's pretty wacky and lyrical.
GhostBoy
Asshole In Training

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:28:15 PM »

Just finished Into The Wild (wanted to read it before seeing movie...which I still have not seen) and am currently reading Moby Dick.
hannah
Anyone up for tetherball?

rawkstarr101
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 10:36:05 PM »

For school I'm reading Running in the Family by Michael Ondaatje and for leisure I'm reading Siddartha.
good stuff.

She knew she was able to fly, because when she came down she had dust on her hands from the sky.
billy
ladykiller

billyc0417
Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 11:20:54 PM »

and for leisure I'm reading Siddartha.
good stuff.

that Buddha is one cool fellow huh

She was a washcloth wet with love
I was not, she was mine
Iím in the olive tree next door
riverís up to my eyes
hannah

rawkstarr101
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:39:59 PM »

hellz yea he is. and not all fat and round as he's rumored to be. it's slow reading though, I never have time.

She knew she was able to fly, because when she came down she had dust on her hands from the sky.
Brett
I Am Not The Moon
Administrator

bpjeep24
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:52:03 PM »

im with ddn12.  nothing says i dont feel like reading for pleasure more than spending half your day reading educational material anyway.

other than that, the last book i read was 'the road'.  i found it quite good.

"No more robots, no more talking with computers.  This song was recorded on a computer... There's so much wrong with that.
Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 12:59:24 AM »

Well, the last book I finished was The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Absolutely phenomenal. One of the saddest most grotesque, and in some parts strangely beautiful pieces of literature I have ever read. Before that I finished Hemmingway's Green Hills Of Africa which was really good, but not nearly my favorite of his. Im obsessed with the lost generation so I tend to stay around that time frame, but I do occasionally venture outside for classics and newer stuff I really enjoy Tom Robbins and of course Hunter S. Thompson.

"Dress Sexy At My Funeral, My Good Wife" Bill Callahan
BlackWings
16, Maybe Less

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 02:09:07 AM »

I kind of think that "The Road" is the most important novel (that I've read) written in our lifetimes.  Unless any of you were alive for Cheever's "Bullet Park." 
ddn12
Emilio Estevez Enthusiast

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 07:48:27 AM »

The Jungle is a great book.
Jeff
asshole #2
Administrator

will-o-the-wisp

sailinjeffnk
WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 09:12:01 AM »

I don't really read much for pleasure during school either.

I'm trying to work my way through sex drugs and cocoa puffs.  Sometimes I think the guy is an asshat, sometimes a genius.

Christian
Those Poor Emo's

hates you

ah+poor+bird
Email
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 11:19:25 AM »

and for leisure I'm reading Siddartha.
good stuff.

that Buddha is one cool fellow huh

I dunno if you know but that book is fiction, it's not intended to be biographical.

I kind of think that "The Road" is the most important novel (that I've read) written in our lifetimes.   
Also, what does that even mean?  I don't really understand how people say that such and such a book is the most important.
hannah

rawkstarr101
WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 01:08:20 PM »

yes yes, I realize its fiction.

Mitch, what's a Hemingway book that will redeem him in my eyes after Old Man in the Sea and The Sun Also Rises? Because right now, I hate him.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Print
Jump to: