May 27, 2010, 02:12:32 PM
News: Check out the tees, hoodies, and totes available at Ironandwine.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Books Thread  (Read 6006 times)
Christian
Those Poor Emo's

hates you

ah+poor+bird
Email
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 01:18:46 PM »

The Snows of Kilamajaro or however you spell it is really good, it's a short story though.
Skeptic
Old Fashioned Speaker
Global Moderator

OMG ITZ BANJO TYME!

Email
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 03:26:51 PM »

I kind of think that "The Road" is the most important novel (that I've read) written in our lifetimes.   
Also, what does that even mean?  I don't really understand how people say that such and such a book is the most important.

I'm with you on that one Telly.  I read 'The Road' and I thought it was really, really good.  But what defines importance?  Cause I didn't really learn much from that one.

All I know is that it takes nine months to make a son and about 2.8 seconds to throw him off a roof.
stickman says
Each Coming Night

stickmansayshi@hotmail.com stickmansayshi
WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 06:08:52 PM »

i'm supposed to start reading "Child of God" by Cormac McCarthy soon...

and my cousin wants me to reread "Watchmen" by Alan Moore with her (she has a thing about not being able to discuss literature with anyone).

Also, "The Pillowman" by Martin McDonagh is quite the excellent play.  Never seen it performed though, not sure if I want to.

acniner
Sunset Soon Forgotten

People that littered bothered him.

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 06:14:07 PM »

I think The Road is important, but I don't believe it is the most important book ever written.  As you all had mentioned what defines importance.  The Road does express important values such as compassion and hope.  Compassion and hope are defining values of the human race and it is one of the things that keeps us alive.  The Roads shows us what the world can become when we lose that.
acniner
Sunset Soon Forgotten

People that littered bothered him.

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 06:18:45 PM »

Child of God is also next on my list.  I'm kind of on a McCarthy binge after flying through No Country for Old Men and The Road.

Watchmen is a great graphic novel.  Probably one of the best I've read.  I wonder how Alan Moore feels about the film adaptation that is going on right now.  I know he hasn't been too happy with past film adaptations.
Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 02:42:13 AM »

Mitch, what's a Hemingway book that will redeem him in my eyes after Old Man in the Sea and The Sun Also Rises? Because right now, I hate him.

Well, my favorite Hemmingway novel is actually The Sun Also Rises, but if you didn't like that one I definitely recommend To Have And Have Not. That novel of his is second to The Sun Also Rises in my opinion. What didn't you like about The Sun Also Rises? The reason I ask is because that story is the reason why I fell in love with his work. His writing style and mannerisms are what I like about him so much, that and the way that he lived life.

"Dress Sexy At My Funeral, My Good Wife" Bill Callahan
conrad the caterpillar
Beneath The Balcony

Email
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 03:29:10 PM »

Mitch, what's a Hemingway book that will redeem him in my eyes after Old Man in the Sea and The Sun Also Rises? Because right now, I hate him.

http://www.mrbauld.com/hemclean.html

http://www.gummyprint.com/blog/archives/hills-like-white-elephants-complete-story/

http://www.geocities.com/cyber_explorer99/hemingwaykillers.html

Basically, go buy the complete short stories right now.
hannah
Anyone up for tetherball?

rawkstarr101
WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 06:01:02 PM »

Well, maybe I exaggerated a bit. I didn't hate it. But I had to read it for school and do a ton of project shit on it that kind of ruined it. I think maybe that's why I hate reading books in school because they just make you dissect them in the most ridiculous ways until there's no life left in them.

So okay, maybe it really grew on me. And I actually ended up kind of liking it. Is For Whom The Bell Tolls good? because that's the one that people have told me to read.

She knew she was able to fly, because when she came down she had dust on her hands from the sky.
stickman says
Each Coming Night

stickmansayshi@hotmail.com stickmansayshi
WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 06:17:46 PM »

A Farewell to Arms, anyone?

BlackWings
16, Maybe Less

Email
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 10:17:28 PM »

Farewell to Arms is DEFINITELY my favorite Hemingway.  It
Jeff
asshole #2
Administrator

will-o-the-wisp

sailinjeffnk
WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 10:31:28 PM »

It

well said.  Cheesy

hannah
Anyone up for tetherball?

rawkstarr101
WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 10:34:20 PM »

haha I decided to be nice and not say anything about that but since Jeff started it... haha

She knew she was able to fly, because when she came down she had dust on her hands from the sky.
Christian
Those Poor Emo's

hates you

ah+poor+bird
Email
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 12:29:52 AM »

Blackwings is an autonomous google bot.
whiteshaw
Upward Over The Mountain

Email
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2007, 07:52:16 PM »

James Joyce - Dubliners
If everyone in the world read this, we'd have world peace. Maybe.

If not, just read Brendan Behan's  'The Quare Fellow'

Bartlet for America
Skeptic
Old Fashioned Speaker
Global Moderator

OMG ITZ BANJO TYME!

Email
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2007, 03:50:00 AM »

I loooooove Dubliners.  The last story is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever read.

All I know is that it takes nine months to make a son and about 2.8 seconds to throw him off a roof.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Print
Jump to: