May 27, 2010, 02:19:11 PM
News: Check out the tees, hoodies, and totes available at Ironandwine.com
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
Print
Author Topic: Books Thread  (Read 6007 times)
MRadford.505
Beneath The Balcony

Sounds fun.

Email
« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2010, 07:22:13 PM »

On another note, since we're in the books thread - has anyone here read The Sea Wolf?

"And let These Our Words speak forth from the dirt, lest our feet ever leave the ground."
Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #211 on: May 12, 2010, 02:00:26 PM »

Ok so let's start this here I guess, it seems like I got some pretty strong reaction from my Ayn Rand comments. Let me clear this up first and foremost, I am not a proponent of Ayn Rands' philosophic ideas. Having said that, I enjoyed reading Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. I thought that they were extremely entertaining books, much the same as I found Fitzgerald's work interesting i.e. The Great Gatsby, The Last Tycoon, and This Side of Paradise. I don't agree with any of her anti-zeitgeist principles. In fact as far philosophy goes im a huge fan of Camus, which is completely the opposite of Rands belief systems. So, let's talk about the books, did anyone find them uninteresting or terrible, as far as the story goes? This is what I am trying to figure out. I find that time in America to be extremely interesting.

"Dress Sexy At My Funeral, My Good Wife" Bill Callahan
MRadford.505
Beneath The Balcony

Sounds fun.

Email
« Reply #212 on: May 12, 2010, 02:17:40 PM »

Ha ha, I don't mind that you like Rand. I've never read any, but I hear she's a fantastic writer.

"And let These Our Words speak forth from the dirt, lest our feet ever leave the ground."
Jen
16, Maybe Less

Email
« Reply #213 on: May 12, 2010, 02:22:25 PM »

I haven't read any of those books since high school. I don't think I could really carry on an intelligent conversation about them. I agree, I find the 20's-40's fascinating. I feel that more happened in that time frame to shape our country than possibly any other period. The sad thing is, most people only think of the great depression.

I have Sea Wolf on my bookshelf, maybe I'll read it next. I just finished up reading Jailbird (Vonnegut) & am reading Bright Lights Big City Now.
Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #214 on: May 12, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »

I haven't read any of those books since high school. I don't think I could really carry on an intelligent conversation about them. I agree, I find the 20's-40's fascinating. I feel that more happened in that time frame to shape our country than possibly any other period. The sad thing is, most people only think of the great depression.

I have Sea Wolf on my bookshelf, maybe I'll read it next. I just finished up reading Jailbird (Vonnegut) & am reading Bright Lights Big City Now.

I love everything I have ever read by Vonnegut, and it saddens me that he's no longer with us. We actually have some pretty big fans of Vonnegut around here. My interweb teen tiger beat crush Benny has a Vonnegut tattoo! (swoons)

If you enjoy Vonnegut and you like Iron & Wine you are going to fit in well here, if you decide to stick around. Welcome again Jen.

"Dress Sexy At My Funeral, My Good Wife" Bill Callahan
Jen
16, Maybe Less

Email
« Reply #215 on: May 12, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »

thanks Wink as long as no one minds a smart ass
brandie
Upward Over The Mountain

oobrandie327oo
Email
« Reply #216 on: May 12, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »

if you're NOT a smart ass here, you're in some real trouble, you'll be fine
mr_potroast
Upward Over The Mountain

mr_potroast@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2010, 09:24:56 PM »

Boats n hoes? How very hip hop artist of you Brandie

Just finished Revolutionary Road. Terrific but depressing
yutzie
Someday The Waves

Your shrimp count's too high! We need white wine!

Email
« Reply #218 on: May 14, 2010, 02:11:56 PM »

Carl Sagen - Pale Blue Dot

Greate music for greate people.
Christian
Those Poor Emo's

hates you

ah+poor+bird
Email
« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2010, 01:05:10 AM »

I'm reading Boyhood by Coetzee and it's fantastic---though I'd recommend The Life and Times of Michael K for newcomers.
davidlynchaholic
Resident Film Critic

Bonnie 'Prince' Billies

WWW Email
« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2010, 01:38:25 AM »

I'm reading Boyhood by Coetzee and it's fantastic---though I'd recommend The Life and Times of Michael K for newcomers.
I read Waiting for the Barbarians and liked it a lot.  Two of my friends have crazy authorial crushes on Coetzee, so I've stocked up on some titles.
mr_potroast
Upward Over The Mountain

mr_potroast@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2010, 11:15:46 AM »

I wasn't so crazy about the life and times. I hear disgrace is very good, and I loved the movie. Will probably read it sometime soon.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
Print
Jump to: