May 27, 2010, 02:19:22 PM
News: Check out the tees, hoodies, and totes available at Ironandwine.com
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
Print
Author Topic: New/Old Discoveries  (Read 9157 times)
mr_potroast
Upward Over The Mountain

mr_potroast@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #195 on: June 05, 2009, 12:23:50 AM »

hahaha yeah i've always found pirate metal to be jolly good fun
Muddy Hymnal
Administrator
Each Coming Night

WWW Email
« Reply #196 on: July 12, 2009, 06:10:52 AM »

Another J Plug
new album J. Tillman - Year In The Kingdom
check it out!
Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2009, 08:25:51 AM »

My newest discoveries:

Sam Baker - Some of the best country/folk/roots music I have ever heard. His record Mercy is a work of art. My favorite song off the record is Truale I believe.

Ok and now for my indie hip hop/rap discoveries.

Atmosphere

The Grouch

Souls Of Mischief

Jedi Mind Tricks (from philly?!?!)

El P

Buck 65

Flobots

I have to add Sage Francis to the list of old discoveries, he's rediculous. His newer stuff not so hot, but the old stuff is great.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:31:52 AM by Mitch » Logged

"Dress Sexy At My Funeral, My Good Wife" Bill Callahan
yutzie
Someday The Waves

Your shrimp count's too high! We need white wine!

Email
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2009, 12:57:22 PM »

Souls Of Mischief

93 til infinity! i had this album back in the day. i just recently gave it to a friend because i didn't listen to it. good job.

Greate music for greate people.
Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »

Yeah that Souls Of Mischief stuff is great. I really don't like West Coast Hip Hop, but their songs are on a whole different level. Anything that involves Dell The Funkee Homosapien is usually pretty good. Although I have some friends who have seen him recently that have said he's either really drugged out or burned out at shows. The song I really like right now by them is Cabfare.

Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2010, 09:56:02 AM »

I feel like it's time to revive this thread. Please participate if you have something new or old that people may not have heard or be into yet. A go through a steady cycle where at times I am listening to a lot of new music, and seem to stumble on new music regularly. Then there are times where my music collection will become stagnant for months at a time. If we can keep up a steady listing in this thread we might be able to avoid some of this. Just a thought.

As I have said recently I have been really into this chillwave/glo fi movement lately. Guys like Neon Indian, Washed Out, Small Black, and Real Estate. Those are the only four I really know anything about, and they are all good. I especially like Small Black, Washed Out, and Real Estate. I have listened to Neon Indian quite a bit, but haven't really been able to get into them. I think it's much more abstract and droned out than the other bands.

I have also really started to get into Vampire Weekend, I really like these guys a lot. Their self title is soo good from start to finish. Especially the middle of the record. I like their second one Contra as well. I think it's a little more complex.

I just stumbled on a band that's really hard to put into a genre called Helvetia. I would describe their music as french pop/math rock/indie rock/midi keyboard heavy. Extremely melodic stuff, but the vocals being somewhat rough around the edges. I think they are swiss. The record I picked up is called Acrobats and I really like it. If anyone's interested send me a pm, I doubt you'll be able to find anything on youtube. They randomly popped up on Pandora and they don't have any information listed about them.

Here's a link to dl a track off the record that I ul called "Old, New Bicycles"

http://rapidshare.com/files/376185705/09-Old__New_Bicycle.mp3.html

I have always been into Deer Tick, but after seeing him I started to really get into his stuff more. I picked up Born on Flag Day, the other day and it's a really solid record.

Anyone else into some new stuff, or some old stuff?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:05:50 AM by Mitch » Logged

whiteshaw
Upward Over The Mountain

Email
« Reply #201 on: April 15, 2010, 10:39:21 AM »

chillwave/glo fi

Sweet Jesus. Who comes up with this?

Currently enjoying Black Star, Maps & Atlases, Squirrel Nut Zippers and my buddy's band Akudama.

Bartlet for America
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
Print
Jump to: