May 25, 2010, 03:58:31 PM
News: Check out the tees, hoodies, and totes available at Ironandwine.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New Releases (Music)  (Read 192 times)
Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« on: May 15, 2010, 11:00:44 AM »

Alright guys, so I figured we could have a thread where we can post reviews of new releases, or talk about new releases that we like. Instead of doing so in The Wreck of What You're Listening To. That way if a new Phosphorescent record comes out, we can all find out about it, instead of a small reference to it in the currently listening to thread that you may or may not see or read.

I just picked up the new National - High Violet, and Sleigh Bells - Treats. Both are extremely good I kind of wish I didn't get them at the same time.

Here's a review of The National record that's pretty descriptive.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14203-high-violet/

P.S. how do post a link and describe it  so that instead of me putting here's the link, I could do click here, whiteshaw does it all the time, please help I don't know how to do these things.

"Dress Sexy At My Funeral, My Good Wife" Bill Callahan
whiteshaw
Upward Over The Mountain

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 02:56:29 PM »

P.S. how do post a link and describe it  so that instead of me putting here's the link, I could do click here, whiteshaw does it all the time, please help I don't know how to do these things.

[ url = http://www.example.com ] Description [ / url] sans spaces.

Bartlet for America
Skeptic
Old Fashioned Speaker
Global Moderator

OMG ITZ BANJO TYME!

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 05:08:40 PM »

Ya, the new National record is fan-fucking-tastic. I never really got into them, but this one made me a believer.

All I know is that it takes nine months to make a son and about 2.8 seconds to throw him off a roof.
yutzie
Someday The Waves

Your shrimp count's too high! We need white wine!

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 08:15:03 PM »

The Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards

if you liked the first dead weather album, then you'll like this one, too. they didn't mess with their sound too much at all. it's has a very hypnotic-space-devil-blues sound if that makes any sense. i was surprised because their first album came out in 09 and it seems a bit soon, but anything jack white puts out, to me, is worth buying. and it was.

also...

Willie Nelson - Country Music

it's willie singing traditional country-western songs with a banjo and fiddle players. good drinking music.

Greate music for greate people.
oldgregg
16, Maybe Less

I will lay awake till all your power's gone...

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 09:42:53 PM »

Yeah, the National's new album is amazing. I still haven't given the Dead Weather a chance, I really should...

tGT...

www.myspace.com/thegladtown    .....    [because it's free...]

...spread the word...
Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 01:50:32 PM »

Dead Weather, was by far my favorite live show of this past years ACL. They were amazing, that was the first time I think I have ever given Jack White a chance. The lead singer, I don't know who she is i'm not real familiar with the band at all, was amazing, and stole the show. Having said that I still haven't picked up any of their records, i'm not really a fan of straight forward rock.

The new Band of Horses is out, and I am thoroughly disappointed, Cease to Begin left a lot to be desired and really felt like the same record they put out in Everything All The Time. Infinite Arms is just like every other record but worse, and sooo fucking boring. Not really a fan of them anymore.

Sometimes it seems like the bigger indie bands, that get non indie size crowds and fanship try and stay with the same formula generally, sometimes it works like The Decemberists whom im not a fan of anymore, sometimes it doesn't as in Band of Horses case. This of course is just my opinion.

Skeptic
Old Fashioned Speaker
Global Moderator

OMG ITZ BANJO TYME!

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 03:27:10 PM »

Seconded on the Band of Horses album. Extremely dull. Ah well.

All I know is that it takes nine months to make a son and about 2.8 seconds to throw him off a roof.
Jeff
asshole #2
Administrator

will-o-the-wisp

sailinjeffnk
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 05:30:04 PM »

Seconded on the Band of Horses album. Extremely dull. Ah well.

x a billion

wtf BoH

Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 10:02:23 AM »

I wasn't really into LCD Soundsystem, but his newest This Is Happening, is a really fun record to listen to. For whatever reason I am really getting into the electronic stuff that I wouldn't give a chance before, back when I was snobbish to indie snobs. Only the purest records for me thank you. Not so anymore i'm listening to everything I can get my hands on, and this is a good find in a genre I am just now becoming familiar with. Especially the opening track Dance Yrself Clean.

Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 01:36:04 PM »

I'm not really a huge fan of The Tallest Man On Earth, but what's the consensus here on the record he put out about a month ago, "The Wild Hunt"? Is it more of the same from him? Is it better than his others? P4k gave it a best new music last month, so i'm curious.

P.S. I managed to get my hands on a high quality advanced copy of Deer Tick's newest Black Dirt Sessions, and saying he's coming into his own with a sound, and a band, would be a huge understatement. If you would like to hear it send me a pm I may be able to point you in the right direction to obtain it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 02:49:17 PM by Mitch » Logged

Jeff
asshole #2
Administrator

will-o-the-wisp

sailinjeffnk
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »

I stopped reading p4k in 2005.

Use your ears, Mitch.  YOUR EARS!

I would say that tallest man record is more of the same.

The new deer tick is tickling me, currently.

Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 10:56:03 AM »

I stopped reading p4k in 2005.

Use your ears, Mitch.  YOUR EARS!

I would say that tallest man record is more of the same.

The new deer tick is tickling me, currently.

I use P4k mainly for release news, and when they select a best new music and it's in a genre I don't listen to much, i'll check the record out. P4k really helps me keep up with all independent music. I still decide for myself if the records I listen to are any good. More often than not though I have found that I agree with the opinions of most of the guys on P4k now. I didn't used to at all though, I used to despise the entire site.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: