August 03, 2010, 03:36:52 AM
News: Check out the tees, hoodies, and totes available at Ironandwine.com
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Iron & Wine Benefit Concert and Movie Night In Austin, TX  (Read 632 times)
Brett
I Am Not The Moon
Administrator

bpjeep24
WWW Email
« on: June 21, 2010, 09:37:19 PM »

Iron & Wine has announced a two night event including a concert and a movie night to benefit Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA) and Health Alliance for Austin Musicians (HAAM).  Both events will be held at The Paramount Theatre, with the concert on Thursday, July 29, and the movie night Wednesday, July 28.

additional details:

Iron & Wine
+ Friends
Benefit Concert for
Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA)
Health Alliance for Austin Musicians (HAAM)

Thursday, July 29, 2010
The Paramount Theatre
Austin, TX

Tickets Onsale Friday, June 25 10:00AM
866-9PROTIX or austintheatre.org
Paramount Theatre Box Office (12:00 Noon)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iron & Wine Movie Night
featuring "Badlands"

Free Popcorn!!!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010
The Paramount Theatre
Austin, TX

Tickets Onsale Friday, June 25 10:00AM
Advance tickets available online only, austintheatre.org
Day of show tickets available at the Paramount Theatre Box Office

*Tickets for both events only sold separately.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iron & Wine is proud to announce the second annual benefit concert for the Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA) will be Thursday, July 29, 2010 at the Paramount Theatre in Austin, TX. Last summer's event, which featured Glen Hansard (The Swell Season, The Frames), was a rousing success in raising awareness for MANA's efforts to support midwives both in Texas and nationally. MANA is a professional organization for all midwives, with a goal of unifying the profession of midwifery, thereby improving the quality of health care for women, babies, and communities.

A portion this year's concert proceeds will also benefit the Health Alliance for Austin Musicians (HAAM).  HAAM is an essential resource for Austin's musicians, providing access to affordable health care and focusing on prevention and wellness.

With special guests, still to be announced, Iron & Wine's benefit concert at The Paramount will be an evening of great music, supporting two outstanding organizations.

In addition to the benefit concert, Iron & Wine will also be hosting a movie night at The Paramount on Wednesday, July 28, 2010, featuring "Badlands."

Prior to focusing on music, Sam Beam (Iron & Wine) was a university professor of film and cinematography. He remains active in all aspects of the medium, recently directing The Swell Season's "Low Rising" music video and curating a top ten list for the Criterion Collection. Beam hand picked "Badlands" to be screened at Iron & Wine Movie Night.

"Badlands"  (1973)  (95 min/color/PG) stars Martin Sheen, Sissy Spacek and Warren Oates and was directed by Terrence Malick.  Young Texan Sissy Spacek and future Texan Malick made their first big splash in movies with this moody thriller based on a real-life killing spree set in the '50s Midwest.  A young Sheen also scores impressively in a role that was a major boost to his career.  

Proceeds from the evening at the cinema will benefit The Paramount Theatre's Film Series, which is celebrating 35 years of showing classic films the way they were meant to be seen, in Austin's only historic "Picture Palace".  The Paramount is one of the few theatres open today which screened Casablanca when it was originally released in 1942, and is the only theatre in Texas regularly screening 70mm films.  The Paramount continues to be a favorite of both filmmakers and fans.

Free popcorn with movie admission!

http://www.mana.org
http://www.myhaam.org
http://www.ironandwine.com

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:46:43 PM by Brett » Logged

"No more robots, no more talking with computers.  This song was recorded on a computer... There's so much wrong with that.
xtina1982
Stickers or GTFO

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:12:43 AM »

okay.  MANA benefit?  awesome.  MOVIE NIGHT??  FRICKING SWEET.  Grin

"...the point is, to live everything. live the questions now. perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer." - rainer maria rilke
Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:17:58 AM »

I can actually make this hopefully tickets aren't sold out by Monday.

"Dress Sexy At My Funeral, My Good Wife" Bill Callahan
xtina1982
Stickers or GTFO

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »

i am horribly tempted by this. 

work owes me vacation time, and for various and sundry reasons i need a break from just about everything here right now.  i could get decent plane tickets if i flew into san antonio and drove.  i've kinda always wanted to see austin, but i just don't want to go by myself. 

hmmmmmmmm.  i think i'll go make puppy eyes at all my friends.   Smiley

"...the point is, to live everything. live the questions now. perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer." - rainer maria rilke
Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 08:55:29 AM »

Austin is probably my favorite city in the U.S. I love everything about it, the people there are really great as well. Just an all around good town to be in.

Brett
I Am Not The Moon
Administrator

bpjeep24
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 06:50:08 PM »

just a quick update, but calexico will be opening for iron & wine for the benefit concert.

"No more robots, no more talking with computers.  This song was recorded on a computer... There's so much wrong with that.
xtina1982
Stickers or GTFO

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 09:26:32 AM »

i saw that!  i could barf or do something equally inappropriate, i'm so jealous. 

mitch, you said you might be able to go - are you?

Brett
I Am Not The Moon
Administrator

bpjeep24
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 04:42:57 PM »

heres an interview going along with the news of the benefit show/movie

http://www.austin360.com/music/benefit-show-is-a-chance-for-sam-beam-819459.html?srcTrk=RTR_818386

yutzie
Someday The Waves

Your shrimp count's too high! We need white wine!

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 08:46:24 PM »

Some people that have listened to it say it sounds like the smell of their parents car in the '70s all their favorite AM Gold."

good.

Greate music for greate people.
xtina1982
Stickers or GTFO

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 09:45:18 PM »

Fans of Iron and Wine can expect a new album in the beginning of 2011.

Roll Eyes  *sigh*

"It's newer," he laughs. "There seems to be more of a pop element to it."

my stomach kinda hurt when i read that.  we were kidding about the bedazzling and the assless chaps, sam!

but seriously...pop?

hannah
Anyone up for tetherball?

rawkstarr101
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 10:44:22 PM »

Tina, I wouldn't take "pop" to mean Miley Cyrus or Gaga type pop. I would think that he means it in the more literal musical sense of the term like catchy melodic riffs and things like that.

She knew she was able to fly, because when she came down she had dust on her hands from the sky.
Brett
I Am Not The Moon
Administrator

bpjeep24
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 10:53:31 PM »

i disagree hannah im confident sam will be using autotune on 6 out of 14 songs on the new album...

oh shit i wasnt supposed to leak that info

mr_potroast
Upward Over The Mountain

mr_potroast@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 05:17:17 AM »

Tina, I wouldn't take "pop" to mean Miley Cyrus or Gaga type pop. I would think that he means it in the more literal musical sense of the term like catchy melodic riffs and things like that.

I thought it was featuring Miley Cyrus?  Huh?
xtina1982
Stickers or GTFO

Email
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 06:30:52 AM »

i'm sure you're right.  it's just i started getting really into i&w after TSD, and the last time i did a between-albums bandwagon joining (weezer, between maladroit and make believe), the next album sucked horribly and i was so pissed i ended up selling it.  i'm...a little anxious, is all. 

that's a pretty funny thought, though.  Smiley  autotune!

Mitch
Full Grown Man
Global Moderator

kmf504
WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 09:51:32 AM »

i disagree hannah im confident sam will be using autotune on 6 out of 14 songs on the new album...

oh shit i wasnt supposed to leak that info

Bretty, take that back or IM BREAKING MY MOTHERFUCKING KEYBOARD AND GOING OUTSIDE AND THROWING ROCKS AT THE FIRST PERSON I SEE!!!!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: